California Betta Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

me w/ breeding.. hmmm

5 posters

Go down

me w/ breeding.. hmmm Empty me w/ breeding.. hmmm

Post by [MODERATOR]SD_Bettas Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:45 pm

i would say i am a good breeder. its just that i dont have that kinda time too. and also i dont have that kinda space. especially it isnt my house to be making them calls. but if anyone needs help on breeding i will do my best to asist + guide. on my knowledge.
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas

Back to top Go down

me w/ breeding.. hmmm Empty Re: me w/ breeding.. hmmm

Post by Chinz Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:31 am

Can you help me with a specific list of things you prefer to breed betas. I mean i read up on a lot of things but everyone does it differently and I'm newb trying to start a hobby. Right now I have a long 20gal and a 10gal tank. Should I breed the bettas in the 20 or the 10? Do you prefer using fluorescent lighting or regular light bulb?
If you can help, I'd like some sources/links of exact products you use that you were most successful with.
betta leaves
sponge filter & pump
types of food for when the eggs hatch... food for after the growth period...
products used to condition the water

Chinz

Back to top Go down

Post by [MODERATOR]SD_Bettas Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:09 pm

10 gallon is best in this hand ( reminder 10 gallon is a bit long so. when he goes in the to the other end of the tank he somewhat can hardly see her.)

*my tricks= became common now* = get a water bottle and cut off the bottom and unscrew the cap. place that in the middle of the tank exactly with the female inside, so at all time the male will see her. during nest prep.

2.5"-3" inches of water , i like to use IAL water to improve their breeding natural habitat, NOT NEEDED tho. (NO TAP WATER! so the nest will be build faster) should release female in 1-2 days. after put into this tank. Use styrofoam floating nest or use IAL grade A+++ Leaf for nest. with the leaf nest they make a better nest but then the leaf gets heavy and sometimes drops into the tank and breaks the nest = risky. because the leaf absorbs the water and gets heavy. and unbalance.

really important thing is condition/pairing the pair's for 7-14 days (put aside along each other and let them flare here and there,2-4 times a day like 3-5mins per time, i normally just let them see each other all day since im gone from the house majority of the day)

feed no food during they are place in that breeding thank they gonna spawn in.

baby food preparation wise = BBS live is the best, or else microworms (rinsed in untap + clean water) when baby starts to feed and each to about 1/3 of a inch. you are able to move into a growout tank with better water quality + or the same. (this may risk loosing your batch if your water is not stable. it can cost shocks or diseases.) i normally just add about 1 inch of clean untap water each few days into the tank.(only if they are looking active and eating and healthy, PATIENTS reminder.)

chop up live bloodworms are good for small juvies to start nipping on, they will grow faster with that food. or else if you are farming daphania, this is one of the best tropical fish live food source.! i believe babys cant eat the sizes tho even tho theres some are big and small.

insert sponge filter when the babys are eating and also about 1/4 of a inch, RINSE the sponge filter multiple times with TAP water 2-5x, and then rinse it with the FRY TANK water 2-5 x also.(so no chemicals will effect your water quality. safe sides)

live plants are good for frys to hide in and also good for stabilizing the water. on top water plants are good options. i forgot the names of them. but some are duckweeds and the other i forgot. but you got a clue just look at live plants at the store and you see them floating on top with a lot of roots hanging down. make sure no strong water current for the frys.

***** iDK MY HEADS POUNDING TOO MUCH THINKING, I HAVE NOT DONE THIS in ABOUT 3 YEARS****** LoL i hope this helps. anymore small question ask me =D
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas

Back to top Go down

Post by Longest Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

I know there's a fear about the parents eating the babies but for some reason mines have never done that. I've always feed my pairs bloodworms/blackworms when breeding. I figure that in the wild they will eat occasionally during their breeding. One cool thing i found out is that if they don't eat some of the worm I feed them the worm eats their poop. But I don't recommend using a lot of worms as a tank cleaning option.
Longest
Longest

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinz Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks guys. I just ordered a pair of White Halfmoon on aquabid. It wont ship out until Feb 24th. Hopefully all goes well with the shipping and the breeding. Its my first so yea...

Chinz

Back to top Go down

Post by Longest Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 am

cool, post up some pictures when you get them.
Longest
Longest

Back to top Go down

Post by [MODERATOR]SD_Bettas Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Chinz wrote:Thanks guys. I just ordered a pair of White Halfmoon on aquabid. It wont ship out until Feb 24th. Hopefully all goes well with the shipping and the breeding. Its my first so yea...

when you recieve them, do not feed them even tho you are concern. wait at least 12-24hours. reminder to condition them before breeding.
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas

Back to top Go down

Post by [MODERATOR]SD_Bettas Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:47 pm

REMINDER* its good to have a lot of live plants in your FRY/JUVIE tank, the live plants feed of the shit the betta poops out. it prevents high ammonia i believe. but its really good.
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas

Back to top Go down

Post by Longest Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:29 am

do you wait because they are in shock from the transportation?
Longest
Longest

Back to top Go down

Post by [MODERATOR]SD_Bettas Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Longest wrote:do you wait because they are in shock from the transportation?

ANY shipment, your fish is stuck in a dark small bag for 1 day or more. their energy is a bit weak, let them swim around and gain energy back and feed them tomorrow or something. i know your concern about the fish havent ate, but also think about what they go through.
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas

Back to top Go down

Post by Leafy Greens Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:01 am

remember no tap water unless you treat it. i would hate to see your brand new fish die because of the tap water. just because this just happened to me. bottled water or the filtered water from the 50 cent dispensers are ok.
Leafy Greens
Leafy Greens
Admin

https://cabettafanatics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Longest Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:46 am

yeah that makes sense.
Longest
Longest

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinz Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:14 pm

kool thanks guys!

Chinz

Back to top Go down

Post by chongvang916 Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:19 pm

When i breed these are the things i use

5 gallon tank (i found out that smaller tanks has more success rates)
1 or 2 live plant
Indian Almond leaf(promotes spawning and nest building)
Heater
Sponge filter(only use after frys are 3 to 4 weeks old)
Fry food(must have in hand before you even think about starting)
Styrofoam cup(cut lenght wise)
These are the things i use

To start wat i do is prep the tank. I add water (tap water) 25 to 30% into the tank then i add 1 or 2 live plants into the tank and 1 almond leaf then i add the male betta. Let him get use to the tank and his Environment and called it Territory the next day he will start his nest under a leaf maybe on the live plant or almond leaf. 1 day later i introduce the female for wild bettas i just let her loose in the tank for regular show bettas i confine her in a container for her saftey because that wilds males are less aggressive then regular show betta splendens. Then once i feel that the nest is big enough i let the female loose for wild bettas i just leave them alone they would of breed already for show bettas it can take 2 to 3 days for them to start breeding once they finish i wait till night time and remove the female from the tank(do it slowly to prevent too much water movements)and just let the male care for the frys till they are free of swim then remove him also. And this is my method of breeding
chongvang916
chongvang916

Back to top Go down

Post by Leafy Greens Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:37 am

good info.
Leafy Greens
Leafy Greens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Longest Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:00 pm

thanks for the info Chong. i've got to try that with the wild bettas. where i just let the female go into the tank.
Longest
Longest

Back to top Go down

Post by chongvang916 Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:31 pm

as for wild pairs that are shy and wont breed heres a video

PART 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb4qBGolKBU

PART 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUZh1GNp7i0
chongvang916
chongvang916

Back to top Go down

Post by [MODERATOR]SD_Bettas Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:58 am

ima try this
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas

Back to top Go down

Post by Longest Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 pm

cool idea.
Longest
Longest

Back to top Go down

Post by chongvang916 Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks ^^
chongvang916
chongvang916

Back to top Go down

Post by [MODERATOR]SD_Bettas Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:51 am

my imbelis didnt like this much, so i just threw them a IAL leaf lol. and it seems to be workin better with a cover up tank. so its dark and they cant see nothing
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas
[MODERATOR]SD_Bettas

Back to top Go down

Post by Leafy Greens Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:25 am

post pics if you can SD_Bettas
Leafy Greens
Leafy Greens
Admin

Back to top Go down